Sunday, February 21, 2016

Phoenix

I am a server at a restaurant (I can never spell that word right without auto correct) and it is not uncommon for me to receive numbers from customers. I have received numbers in many shapes and forms from customers writing it on their napkin, moms telling me I should date their daughter and friends just embarrassing one another and asking me if I am single. Even if I am dating someone, it's a very flattering gesture that makes me walk out of work thinking, I've still got it! 

A few months ago I had a table of two guys and a girl. I would describe them as Emo. Their hair was the kind they constantly had to be flipping it out of their face. Their clothes looked like they were bought from Hot Topic, and the air around them felt like that of "No one understands me."


I am a pretty happy guy I would say, but there's always been a part of me that wanted to date an emo girl. So when I saw a number on my table I was quite excited.I just imagined us listening to Three Days Grace and having to push back her thick black bangs in order to kiss her. I decided I should do some Facebook stalking before I texted this girl. The only info was a number, a wink face and the name, Phoenix.


Doesn't that sound like a name where the owner would be all dramatic in explaining how it fits their life. "I'm like a Phoenix because out of the burning ashes of my horrible life, something beautiful emerged."I didn't get far with searching the name. Apparently there are a lot of people who have emerged from the fires of life. So, I plugged the number into the search bar. Sure enough, it was one of the emos at my table. But, it was one of the boys.

I have never gotten a number from the same gender so scratch that off of the bucket list. I was still oddly flattered and when I walked out of work it' wasn't the same swagger I have when I leave with a girls number. But, I still left with that odd sense of, I've still got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment